My Photo
Name:
Location: Formerly Jivetown, Formerly Jiveland

Write as little or as much as you'd like...oh I shall. Try and stop me.

Friday, May 13, 2005

Four of Diamond

There was once a woman
Who lived as she pleased
and when i met this woman
Many things I did see

She danced around the fire
Naked as could be
And when I met her she smirked
And said, "come dance with me"

Seems like I meet
A lot of women like that
But I have forgotten how to dance
I've gotten complacent and fat

So when I meet a woman
Who puts fire in my brain
I stammer and stutter and flutter something fierce
And walk away in shame

For my empire used to be great
And I ruled for what seemed forever.
And one foot in exile is what I have now
Will I be free of this scar, never.

What shall I accomplish??
What shall I do now??
For now I builds those very fires
Which those women dance around.

And I watch them dance and watch them sing
Naked are they for all to see
But very few, if any have said,
"Come dance with me"

And now I think that I may just turn
Those tables of fables made around the big burn
For I think next time, the bodies move towards me
I shall extend me hand and slyly say, "Come dance with me"

6 Comments:

Blogger Adrian said...

Nice. The rhyme scheme works perfectly for this kind of poem.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Footprint said...

thanks. it's funny but those four though not really a set revolve around the same thing.

i go to a festival every year and build bonfires for people to dance around. true is there. thanks for coming.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Lady Writer said...

I always say this, but I LOVE THIS PIECE.
- Who knew monotony in response could be so uplifting?

"Seems like I meet
A lot of women like that
But I have forgotten how to dance
I've gotten complacent and fat"

You know how I said you are complex? This stanza and the following one make me see vulnerability in you that I refuse to accept. Food for thought.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Footprint said...

yes. i can be. to be able to let your guard down and be vulnerable, I think is a strength b/c not a lot of people can do both. Usually they have to be strong all the time or project it.
But when you are vulnerable people mistake kindness for weakness and that is a true mistake.
This poem is about how I am in that space in that situation. You wouldn't think so if you met me and you would know it's true if you knew me. I've gotten better but I am still learning and growing.

5:54 AM  
Blogger -G.D. said...

"For my empire used to be great
And I ruled for what seemed forever.
And one foot in exile is what I have now
Will I be free of this scar, never."

I usually don't like rhyme, but it really works here. This one is lovely...and now I truly find myself addicted to your poetry.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Footprint said...

LOLA: "...This stanza and the following one make me see vulnerability in you that I refuse to accept. Food for thought." Cognitive dissonace be your choice of guide, but to be intentially deceived does not seem to be your nature. Look within to see without.

G.D.: As I am to yours. We can through literary rehab together. Although they may make us read Dickens and Henry James...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home